The annual ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal worldwide survey – which predicts sector trends by surveying 4,500 health fitness professionals globally – has outlined the top 10 activities and industry shifts for 2022:
1. Wearable Tech
2. Home Exercise Gyms
3. Outdoor Activities
4. Strength Training With Free Weights
5. Exercise for Weight Loss
6. Personal Training
8. Bodyweight Training
9. Online Live & On-Demand Classes
10. Health/Wellness coaching
- Exertainment – culture convergence between fitness, fashion, music and entertainment (sparking collabs & products)
- New generation of gym goers prompted by the pandemic – Opportunities for operators to appeal to these groups and understand their wants
- Increasing and focusing on the quality of instructors and staff – Essential in customer acquisition and retention
- Increased appetite for boutique experience – A rise of big box incorporating boutique experiences and new businesses fusing the both
- Major brands from all industries wants a slide of the fitness pie – Apple, Google, Amazon, McDonald’s, Pullman Hotels, Dior and more align themselves with active living
- Diversity, equity, inclusion (DEI) shifting from nice-to-have to a non-negotiable
- Becoming a ‘second space’ for members – offering work pods in the new shift to work from home / hybrid remote-office model
- The live revival – ⅔ of gym members say they prefer working out in groups, live classes in clubs are nearly twice as popular as livestream
- Reimagining the member journey – omni-channel fitness will become a basic expectation, look holistically at all the member touch points in and out of the facility
Les Mills 10 key fitness trends for 2022
Content 2.0 – Consumers expect high-class content while operators double down on quality of live offering in club (their USP that tech giants are unable to compete with)
- Anytime Fitness is launching its new “Real AF” marketing platform – holistic fitness, health and wellness – authentic interactions between AF coaches and members, in person or via their mobile app.
- Myzone Hits $102m Valuation After securing a $17.2M investment from leading investor BGF. In addition, they have also brought on renowned tech entrepreneur Vin Murria OBE, as their new Non-Executive Chair.
- Glofox Appointed Preferred Partner By Xponential Fitness for International Expansion
- Gympass acquires online PT platform Trainiac, as well as regional competitors, Andjoy and 7Card in Spain and Romania.
- Huge congratulations to our partners and friends at UBX who have just signed a new partnership with Empowered Brands in the UK – paving the way for them to launch in the UK and Ireland with up to 250 new sites being developed.
- Mental health startup Cerebral raised $300M in equity funding, the company now has a valuation of $4.8B. As demand for affordable and accessible solutions skyrocket, the mental health market is exploding, prediction reaching a staggering $245B by 2027.
- Boutique chain Trib3 will become one of the first fitness operators to establish a presence in the metaverse, making its workouts available in The Sandbox – a blockchain-based decentralised metaverse – which joins companies and brands such as sports giant Adidas and Team GB.
- FIT Summit launches Active Franchising, the new hub for health, fitness and wellness franchising.
- World Health, Fitness & Wellness Festival dates confirmed for 13-15 June in Singapore.
- Fitstop, after opening their 68th location at the end of 2021 and preparing for international launch, currently hiring 6 new roles within Fitstop’s head office team, including leadership roles in Australia and a GM to support our expansion into NZ.
- By the end of January, SpeedFit will have 30 franchise locations across Western Australia, NSW, ACT and Victoria.
- Gold’s Gym has opened its second gym in Queensland. Kippa-Ring Shopping Centre is one of the region’s most popular shopping centres and they are delighted to have secured 2,406 metre2 of space to create a 24/7 health and wellness club.
- Congrats to UFC GYM for Entering the Sydney CBD Market with its Flag Ship UFC GYM Signature – first of its kind including Strength, Cardio, Boxing, Yoga, Wellness Space, Sauna, Oxygen Chairs, Hydromassage, Retail Outlet, Super Foods and many more
- Pure Yoga / PURE Group today, 20 years ago. Congratulations Colin & the team with your anniversary! From 1 location in HK to 44 globally now
- Singapore based KaHa Pte Ltd acquired by Imagine Marketing to create next-generation IoT enabled wearable products and ecosystem
- The Flow Pilates by Lab Studios, a reformer-only fitness studio, opens in Joo Chiat, Singapore this month
- Platinum Fitness opens their second outlet at Tanglin Mall.
- Freedom Gym opened their new facility at Shenton Way – which boasts state-of-the-art equipment.
- Urban Den open their facility at Change Alley Mall, a grungy-chic boutique gym
- TSquared Lab opens its 2nd outlet in Singapore CBD. Congrats to Afshan, Dhanya, Harmen and team.
- REVL’s first Singapore studio is officially open at Cityhall! Congrats Ben, Josh and team!
- Recovery Systems – First round of recovery Pod subscriptions for Gyms Is now fully subscribed. They will release round two in April. Congrats Michael and Gladys.
- Theodoric and team at Intellect, a Mental Healthcare company for Asia are excited to announce their US$10M Series A
- LES MILLS® THE TRIP, a fully immersive indoor cycling workout, now available in Malaysia at PAR Fitness in KL. This addition is aligned with PAR Fitness’ vision to become Malaysia’s most loved gym brand
- Taiwan-based H2U Corporation, a platform leveraging first-party health data to develop workplace wellness programs, raised $8M in new funding
- Fitness and wellness unicorn Cult.fit has acquired cardio equipment brands, RPM fitness, Fitkit, and Onefitplus and the bicycle brand Urban Terrain, in a bid to consolidate its position in the fitness D2C space.
- Singapore boutique studio, Pull Push Give opened their second location in River Valley. Congratulations to Herzy and the PPG team!
- ISSA has completed the master trainer camp for AIDONG fitness in China who will begin teaching the ISSA CPT in February
- Defin8 Fitness launches Hong Kong’s first infrared reformer Pilates class
- Evolution Wellness made the decision to enhance their existing digital platform with the addition of LES MILLS Content “LES MILLS Content gives our members access to 100+ Les Mills workouts, which are hosted on the Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First websites and mobile apps respectively.
- Wexer signs deal to reach 11m consumers via Optus Sport Australia, expanding digital fitness offering
- Glofox Appointed as Preferred Vendor Partner By Xponential Fitness for International Expansion. Congrats Conor, Anthony, John and your teams!
Xponential Fitness expands to New Zealand with a new franchise agreement.
- Myzone signs exclusive partnership agreement with SPORTA to launch it’s leading wearable technology platform into Pakistan
- Matrix introduces immersive cycling in partnership with iFit & also Technical Integration of Matrix Equipment with the Advagym Service.
Technogym released their app, admin portal, billing platform, and programming platforms into New Zealand for the start of our expansion.
- CLMBR and Hyperice announced their partnership on Jan 13, to give fitness enthusiasts a comprehensive workout and recovery routine.
- Therabody introduces their newest #TherabodyAthlete, professional hockey player and Canadian star, Bo Horvat.
- Fantastic to see analyst coverage out on Advanced Human Imaging and showing the investment potential that Vlado Bosanac and his team are continuing to build!
- Anytime Fitness Australia has launched a fantastic campaign to promote their gyms as welcoming and inclusive for all no matter your body type, fitness level, ability, or background.
- The “Any body, Any time” campaign challenges the stereotypical representation of gym-goers, showcasing a diverse range of people with different needs, highlighting the various reasons they work out, and when they do.
- Fantastic work by Collective Wellness Group and their Anytime Fitness Australia team that will benefit our wider industry.